2010 has been a big year for SwingColumbus! We’ve helped grow our scene locally and regionally, our performance team reached new heights, and we made our major events bigger and better! Below are just some of the milestones we reached this year:
The Local Scene
- Completed our first full year of our weekly lesson series Swingology
- Started the weekly Swingin’ Tuesdays at the Shrunken Head (now 6 months strong!)
- Helped students at Otterbein University start a swing dance club
- Hosted a swing summit of organizers from scenes in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan
- Expanded the SwingColumbus Executive Board from 5 to 7 members to encompass the added roles that come with expanding our event and lesson offerings
- Raised money and collected 42 pounds of food for the Mid Ohio Food Bank at our annual holiday party
- CBUS Lindy and Blues Exchange – we delivered another solid exchange (our 5th!), slightly bigger than past years, with a fabulous Saturday afternoon cookout
- Rocktober – expanded to about 250 registrants, added new competitions, added a third lessons track, and moved to a hotel setting!
- Added aerials to our repertoire for the first time!
- 2nd Place at Dayton Swing Smackdown (darn you Hoosier Hot Shots!)
- Competed against teams from the US, Sweden, France, and Canada at the International Lindy Hop Championships in Washington, DC Watch Video
- 1st Place at Swing, IN in Indianapolis
- Performed for Ohio Dance at the Ohio Statehouse, Honor Flight Columbus, OSU Arts Initiative, Central Ohio Hot Jazz Society, Comfest, and the Ohio Arts Council
Thanks to everyone who made 2010 so great! We’re scheming to make 2011 even better!