The Quick Stop is a single-day Lindy Hop swing dance event in Columbus, Ohio featuring lessons from inspiring instructors, plus an evening dance with live music!
Beyond being descriptive to your length of stay in Columbus, the event name “The Quick Stop” comes from a dance move in Lindy Hop, most often seen in a swing out. The following animation is likely one of the most famous “Quick Stop” moments ever!
Saturday, May 19, 2018
The Quick Stop will have 2 tracks! Please pick the track that best describes your dance experience.
Track 1: Avid Swing Dancer
You know how to comfortably swing out with a partner. You’re looking to be exposed to the other sides of Lindy Hop that you’ve seen on the dance floor, but haven’t had a chance to learn yet!
- Leaders should be able to coordinate between 6-count and 8-count rhythm patterns individually and with partner. Some partnered Charleston experience recommended.
- Followers should be familiar with using the momentum and direction provided by the leader and able to change between 6-count and 8 count rhythm patterns individually and with their leader. Some partnered Charleston experience recommended.
Track 2: Experienced Lindy Hopper
You seek out reactive, playful and intricate dances while social dancing. Your swing outs are elastic, fluid and well-connected, though you can’t stop making iterative adjustments to enhance your partner’s experience. Rhythm syncopations other than triple steps are common in your dance craft, both individually and with your partner.
- Dancers in this class should have 3 years of regular lindy hop dance experience.
- Dancers in this class should have traveled to numerous Lindy Hop workshop weekend events.
- You should be able to Lindy Hop (aka Swing Out) with a partner at 170 beats per minute comfortably.
- You should be able to seamlessly transition between Charleston and Lindy Hop.
Note, these class tracks are geared to those who have done a fair amount of Lindy Hop previously. If you are completely new to Lindy Hop or feel very rusty, the SwingColumbus Lindy Hop series on Thursdays evenings is a great way to get you prepped to take classes at the Quick Stop!
Do I need to bring a partner?
No partner is required, but if you have a friend or family member who might be interested, bring them! This is a very social event and we encourage you to ask for dances as often as you are asked to dance.
What should I wear?
Comfortable/athletic clothes for classes are suggested, but wear your dance shoes. Street shoes are discouraged, as dirt and other debris can ruin dance floors and soles of expensive dance shoes. We suggest dressing up for the live band in the evening.
What happened to the Columbus Lindy & Blues Exchange?
SwingColumbus was receiving requests for lessons more than social dances. We opted to provide a workshop weekend experience responding to the instructional needs of our local dancers with intermediate dance skills. We welcome our regional friends to attend!
Sponsored by SwingColumbus
This event is brought to you by dedicated members of SwingColumbus. The SwingColumbus not-for-profit organization subsidizes venue and live band costs with the intent to further swing dance education in Central Ohio.
Tag your social media posts with #swingcolumbus